As you are aware the rainy season is upon us. This makes driving that much more dangerous. Be aware of hydroplaning. This is where your vehicle travels on top of the water and has NO or very little contact with the ground. Here are some safety tips to keep you safer on the roads.
- Be careful during the first few minutes of rainfall, as this is when the rain stirs up oil and other substances that have dried on the road. This forms a film that makes the road extra slippery.
- As you can see from the image, SLOWING DOWN WILL INCREASE YOUR TIRE’S TRACTION ON THE ROAD.
- Avoid driving through puddles and standing water. These are the spots where you’ll be most likely to hydroplane. Try to stay in the center of the road where puddles are less likely to form.
- Make sure your windshield wipers are working properly.
- Turn off cruise control when it starts raining-you’ll be more in tune with the conditions around you.
- To safely get out of a hydroplaning situation let off the gas and steer straight or slightly in the direction you must go. Do not make sudden motions and remain calm.
If you or a loved one are injured in a car crash, call me immediately for your free consultation so that you may know your rights and options. Marianne Howanitz, YOUR #personalinjuryattorney!